Last month, we focused on Women’s Health Week. The entire month of June is Men’s Health Month. Perhaps men get an entire month because they are more likely to neglect their health, and because on average they die five years earlier than women and have higher fatality rates for diseases such as heart disease, lung cancer, and colon cancer. Dr. James Fondriest and the rest of us at Lake Forest Dental Arts care about your health and want you to take care of yourself.
The following tips can help you maintain a healthy lifestyle and a long life:
1) Eat a balanced diet. It is important to eat the right number of calories and to eat a balance of grains, proteins, vegetables, fruits, and dairy. Keep your diet diverse so you can absorb a variety of nutrients.
2) Exercise. You should exercise moderately at least 30 minutes most days, beyond your normal activity level, to maintain a healthy weight and prevent disease.
3) Sleep. Adults need between seven and eight hours of sleep per night, but most only get about five or six hours. Sleeping is important to allow your body to rest and restore itself.
4) Reduce stress. Engage in whatever activity reduces stress for you—running, yoga, deep breathing, reading, etc.—to keep stress from harming your physical and mental health.
5) Visit your healthcare professionals regularly. Annual physicals and eye exams and six-month dental hygiene visits all work together to monitor your health, prevent issues, and find issues before they become serious. Dr. Fondriest and his hygienist perform dental hygiene visits to clean your teeth and examine your mouth for issues such as decay, gum disease, and oral cancer.
Has it been more than six months since your last dental checkup? Call our Lake Forest, IL, dental office today at 847.234.0517 for your appointment. Dr. Fondriest provides quality general, cosmetic, and restorative dentistry for patients in the North Shore and greater Chicago areas.